Yad Vashem was established in 1953. In 1957 a first building opened with administration, archive, and library facilities, followed in 1961 by the ceremonial Hall of Remembrance and a basic exhibit. A museum was inaugurated in 1973, and over the years a series of institutional spaces, memorials, gardens, and artworks were added. This culminated in Spring 2005 with the inauguration of a museum of Holocaust history and ancillary structures, designed by Moshe Safdie. This book explores how architecture copes with commemoration.